If you’re still standing after the deluge of season announcements this week, then here’s one more to look forward to: Opera Atelier.
The 2022-23 Opera Atelier season centers around two heavy hits: Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas (October 20–23, 2022) and Handel’s The Resurrection (April 6-9).
Co-Artistic Director Marshall Pynkoski will direct both productions. They will include the entire corps of Artists of Atelier Ballet, with choreography by Jeannette Lajeunesse Zinggcoupled with the renowned Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestrawith music direction by David Fallis.
Dido And Aeneas
Based on Virgil’s epic poem The AeneidPurcell’s iconic Dido And Aeneas tells the story of Dido, the widowed Queen of Carthage. She embarks on a blatant affair with the mesmerizing Trojan prince, Aeneas. But, when he abandons her, she bravely embraces her one alternative to a life of humiliation and regret. Heavy stuff!
The production includes several familiar Opera Atelier alumni, including:
- Soprano Meghan Lindsay and tenor Colin Ainsworth portray ill-fated lovers
- Measha Brueggergosman-Lee plays the desperately wicked Sorceress
- Soprano Melody Louledjian makes her company debut as Belinda
- Tenor Spencer Brittensoprano Cynthia Akemi Smithersmezzo-soprano Danielle MacMillanand the Artists of Atelier Ballet round out the cast
One of Handel’s most famous works, the oratorio transports you to a time when hope was reborn in the face of death and despair.
“Not only is the production a feast for the senses – from the impressive set design to the inspired choreography and thrilling score – it is also a moving tribute to the universal story of sacrifice and redemption, as embodied by a heroic protagonist,” says Marshall Pynkoski.
- Soprano Carla Huhtanen portrays the Angel in The Resurrection
- Bass baritone Douglas Williams will play Lucifer
- Tenor Colin Ainsworth, Meghan Lindsayand Allyson McHardy perform the roles of St. John, Mary Magdalene, and Cleophas
What we’re looking forward to most…
… The final aria from Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas, “Dido’s Lament”. It still sends chills.
After Soprano Meghan Lindsay and bass-baritone Douglas Williams’ impressive performances in All Is Love last season, we can’t wait to hear them both again.
Tickets go on sale on August 2, 2022. Visit OperaAtelier.com for more details.
Get the daily arts news straight to your inbox.